Hurrah! Today is Mahalaya! A cause for celebgration!
Well, not for me cuz I don't even know what the bally thing is about. Have this hunch that it was designed by our ancestors to get us into the mood for celebration before Durga Pujo.
Yesterday, I reiterated Archimedes's feat. I was having a bath when I realized that too many festivals is the problem within our soicety, and shouted Eureka, and waltzed naked throughout the neighbourhood......
Not quite, but that is something i must definitely try. the thing will be given more attention in my things to do list..... if I ever make one.
I was completely freaked yesterday, due to an unforeseen miracle. Scored 2290 in a practice SAT test. Such an anomaly has never happened before, and is a cause of worry. Will have to give the matter some cerebration and try to return to my previous nonchalant self. Only way i can go back to being what i was.
Just realized that i can't remember a thing about what happened on Saturday. The day seems to have passed like a blur. I wasn't stoned. Never am, so the possibility will have to recede to the background. Maybe, am developing Parkinsons. Not a very happy prospect. It takes a genius to figure out a solution in such situations, which is exactly what happened, heh heh heh. I realized that the simplest thing to do would be ask someone who was around me. But i was alone throughout the day. So much for my hunch.
Having started a blog a year too late, will narrate a few anecdotal events in my life. This one happened sometime in October last year. Was accompanying my friends to a pandal when we met a poor inebriated man on the road. The stench of the are made it seem that teetotalers were like aliens in that neighbourhood. Anyway, this bloke had had a glass too many, and was asking for directions.
Now the reason I was travelling with friends was that my geography is very weak. which is exactly why, we decided that I was the best candidate to help this chap. Up i went gingerly to his side( i wish i had a noseclip). Even more gingerly, with a wicked grin spread across my face, one that our scapegoat was too intoxicated to notice, I took him to the wrong building, and left him there, terrorizing the residents by knocking on the wrong doors. Hopefully, he was taken to the police.
Well, not for me cuz I don't even know what the bally thing is about. Have this hunch that it was designed by our ancestors to get us into the mood for celebration before Durga Pujo.
Yesterday, I reiterated Archimedes's feat. I was having a bath when I realized that too many festivals is the problem within our soicety, and shouted Eureka, and waltzed naked throughout the neighbourhood......
Not quite, but that is something i must definitely try. the thing will be given more attention in my things to do list..... if I ever make one.
I was completely freaked yesterday, due to an unforeseen miracle. Scored 2290 in a practice SAT test. Such an anomaly has never happened before, and is a cause of worry. Will have to give the matter some cerebration and try to return to my previous nonchalant self. Only way i can go back to being what i was.
Just realized that i can't remember a thing about what happened on Saturday. The day seems to have passed like a blur. I wasn't stoned. Never am, so the possibility will have to recede to the background. Maybe, am developing Parkinsons. Not a very happy prospect. It takes a genius to figure out a solution in such situations, which is exactly what happened, heh heh heh. I realized that the simplest thing to do would be ask someone who was around me. But i was alone throughout the day. So much for my hunch.
Having started a blog a year too late, will narrate a few anecdotal events in my life. This one happened sometime in October last year. Was accompanying my friends to a pandal when we met a poor inebriated man on the road. The stench of the are made it seem that teetotalers were like aliens in that neighbourhood. Anyway, this bloke had had a glass too many, and was asking for directions.
Now the reason I was travelling with friends was that my geography is very weak. which is exactly why, we decided that I was the best candidate to help this chap. Up i went gingerly to his side( i wish i had a noseclip). Even more gingerly, with a wicked grin spread across my face, one that our scapegoat was too intoxicated to notice, I took him to the wrong building, and left him there, terrorizing the residents by knocking on the wrong doors. Hopefully, he was taken to the police.

11 Comments:
1)If you started blogging in September 2005, I’m afraid you’re a little behind the times. Shouldn’t someone who idolizes Artemis Fowl know that Eternity Code is not the latest book! The fourth book by Eoin Colfer, namely Opal Deception, was published on April 1, 2005. I don’t of course know the date of publication of your article in Voices but if you must post it on your blog you could perhaps update it. Eternity Code may be the last Fowl book you read, but for those of us who have read Opal Deception your article falls a little short of expectation.
2)“In fact, Fowl’s protagonistic inclination is debatable, considering his multifarious antagonistic attributes”
You have a wonderful grasp over the English language and of course your articles are very well written but I’m afraid this one sentence is a trifle nonsensical. You could of course refer to Wikipedia if you find it hard to believe me but the fact is the protagonist is simply the central/main character and not necessarily the hero. Artemis is without doubt the protagonist because the narrative revolves around him. He cannot however possess antagonistic attributes because the antagonist is the one who tries to pose obstacles in the way of the protagonist. Much as I search my failing memory I cannot recall instances when the child prodigy tried to prevent himself from attaining his desired end.
3)“That said, the world is yet to come across an author who takes pity on this mythical race, and iconoclastically portrays them in a positive light. It would be nice to see the elves take a beating for a change”
May I suggest some in-depth research before you write your articles. The world has already come across the iconoclast you seek. In fact there are several authors contributing to the genre of comic fiction who subvert the steretypical expectations of good and evil but the one who does it with phenomenal success is to be found here http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/ May I suggest if you really want to see the elves take a beating you should read Pratchett's “Lords and Ladies”.
4)“Galahad Threepwood is Emsworth’s jocose cousin.”
Since when? I thought he was the younger brother of the Earl.
5)“Too busy to construct a dark brooding storyline, Tolkien decied to make his tale as mordant as possible, forgetting to add a few pointers. Case in point- he did not add to the cultural side of the races he created. Dwarves had an affinity to stone- Full stop. Elves were the fair race. Full stop.”
May I suggest that if you have the time you might read some more of Tolkien before you make such sweeping statements. Lord of the Rings may be his epic work but it is not his only work. Even if are not aware of the extensive socio-cultural fabric of the Middle Earth which he presents in works like Unfinished Tales or Silmarillion, at least you could read the appendices to LOTR. There is no full stop to Tolkien’s imagination.
I should apologize for such a lengthy comment but Voices, I understand, is a supplement for young adults, some of whom might well be ignorant of these trivial details. As a journalist you owe your readers a minimum of fabrication and exaggeration. I maintain your personal blog is most enjoyable but your articles, seemed to need some clarifications.
P.S Babelfish, just because i made insulting comments in your blog, doesn't mean you have to look for every opportunity to jab me with your teeth. May seem like a bastard on the net, but am a really nice person in real life, who likes to show off his alter ego somewhere. Don't we all?
Anyway, I am merely maintaining the authenticity of my articles. The Artemis Fowl article was published months ago, before The Opal Deception came out.
Touche about your comment on Tolkien. Have read nothing but LOTR adn the kiddish Hobbit. There is a full stop to Tolkien's imagination however, if you have read as many fantasy fiction books as I have. But as far as I can remember, I read Galahad three years ago, he was a cousin. Will have to clarify that again, if I feel like picking up another Wodehouse book. Too many books on the same issue bore me to no end.
As for the word' protagonist' you seem to be a bit behind of times, and clearly do not appreciate the beauty of the English Language. If I had kept myself to grammatical menaings, then the English Language is different from no other. Dunno how many books you read, but if you're stuck with classics, they're out of date. Even if you have read hundreds of contemporary books, if you have built up a base on classics as a child, then such stupid comments are clearly forthcoming.
And you clearly don't idolize Artemis Fowl, so shut up. You have never even bothered to unfurl the intricacies of the character.
Would've loved to make a few more points, but if I don't tarry, I'll be kicked out of class for the umpteenth time.
P.S, one last word before I leave. I expect you to come through with all guns blazing.....
Don't disappoint.
oooh....pip squeak,for your own good...do not cross fantasy fiction swords with babelfish....she'll flay you.
Too many books on the same issue bore me to no end-really??well,the entire corpus of fantasy fiction seen on the shelves at any bookstore seems to follow that description....
only read one artemis fowl.found it very readable indeed.eragon,sadly was hideous.maybe the next one is better,but i'm not sure i'm interested enought to find out.
Touche! Cassmortmain. I will do as you say and stop corssing sowrds with babelfish. I don't like people flaring behind my back, especially women.I think I should apologize for the rude comment posted in her blog too, but that's me speaking, and it's 2:00 A.M in the morning. The next time I open this blog, my alter ego will ahve taken over. But I will remind even him to stop causing further trouble. hope he lsitens to me.
I wasn't referring to fantasy fiction when talking about too many books bore me to no end. I was talking about Wodehouse. I was trying to say that I don't like reading the ame old author too long.
pippy : listen boy, I wasn't trying to jab you with my teeth honestly, the thought of it!!!*shudder*
My comments if you consider them carefully were not meant to be insulting. I repeat I *like* (for a given amount of liking) your personal posts. But when you're reporting for a paper read by kids whose only source of information might be your article you owe them the truth! You can't afford to be fallacious when your claim is to be factual.
Granted you wished to maintain the authenticity of your articles but when you started your blog on September 29, 2005 you still refer to Eternity Code as the last book. Even Unjustified Insanity has pointed this out. Surely that post has nothing to do with an article published months back. Would it kill you to admit that you aren't as up-to-date about Artemis Fowl as you claim to be? Or is it because too many books on the same issue/by the same old author bore you that you stopped reading Colfer after the third book? At any rate I must request you to recheck your facts. You do the cause of journalism no good by such shoddy writing.
I'm sorry you failed to appreciate Wodehouse but perhaps it is to be expected that the subtle nature of his art would be beyond the comprehension of many such as you. Tolkien too is a writer of such magnificent depth, that I'm afraid your assertions only prove you to be a tad shallow.
My dear, do you realize the pathos of this claim
There is a full stop to Tolkien's imagination however, if you have read as many fantasy fiction books as I have
My nostrils aren't flared and I am not belching flames. On the contrary I am a little sad. You are young. Perhaps by the time you get through college, if we compare our reading lists you will have read as many, if not more, books than I have by my twenty-second year. But standing where you are, do you really want me to reel of names of fantasy fiction writers who you might not even have heard of? If you haven't read Terry Pratchett what have you read? Think of Tom Holt, think of Esther Friesner, John Morressy, Anthony Armstrong, Randall Garrett, Molly Brown. These are a handful ok. These are authors who have taken the genre of fantasy fiction to a new level. The authors you claimed the world has yet to see.
Child, there is really no point in concealing the inadequacy of your logic behind your evidently impressive vocabulary. It's very easy to say shut up, but it doesn't prove you correct. "unfurl the intricacies of the character" sounds very well but after three years of analysing varied texts from the classical age to the contemporary do you really expect us to fall for such empty phrases?
I don't know if you plan to study literature ever in the future. I suppose you shall think it below you and simply go on to become a writer superior to all others and bedazzle the world with your inherent genius. But take this example, someone wrote a play in say 5th century bc. Two thousand five hundred years later, that play is still being read and analyzed. Before you dare to make inane comments about the classics being out-dated, consider this, will your paltry writings survive a hundred years, let alone two thousand years?
I agree the English language is not stagnant. In fact I had to study the changing nature of the English language for an entire year so I really don't need you to tell me why the English language is beyond grammatical limitations. But as to the word 'protagonist', if you have the temerity to declare my comment stupid, would you go ahead and prove where the fault lies in my understanding of the word.
Look at it this way, if this debate continues it'll probably get your blog and you the attention you crave. If there is anything worthwhile in you and your claims and assertions, prove me wrong. Otherwise I am afraid, I and others might continue to dismiss you as worthless.
Finally may I challenge you to find the book you casually picked where Gally Threepwood was a cousin of Emsworth? It would be interesting not only to me but to many literateurs across the world to hear which story it was that Plum made such a momentous slip-up in and no-one noticed in all these years. If you can't, please, shut up.
Come On! Not another thesis.
And will you believe me if is say that i hated Opal Deception? Artemis is going nice in the book. have resolved never to read Artemis Fowl again. His evil streak is vanishing. Thank God Colfer killed off Julius Root though.
As for the Gally Threepwood fallacy, i've already mentioned that i haven't read a blandings book in three years. the article was published last year. Dismiss me as worthless as much as you like.
Terry Pratchett was nice in the beginning, but too many books of the same kind are fulsome at best. The only character i liked of the seven or eight i read was rincewind. Actually it was probgably five or six.
And you don't have to hang on to an author forever to imbibe what you need from him. Maybe you're yet to realize that. If you really think that reading the same old same old suits you fine. I for one need a bit of variation. For instance, the other day, i was bunking class, and trying to read Indian Writings at Crossword. A welcome change. Must say i underestimate indians a lot.
If you agree to the fact that the english language is not stagnant, then why bother to bring back the issue of the word 'protagonist'? One of the reasons i decided not to take up literature was the predicament you're in- too into the subject to look at it from an external viewpoint. Give the academic side a re, and I'm sure we'll have lesser arguments. All because I insulted womankind in a harmless comment in your blog! For god's sake!
And my paltry writings do not have to survive for two hundred years. You seem to assume that i am so full of myself, that i do not acknowledge the existence of literary greats. Not so. I merely decide to avoid classics these days, because i have an unfortunate habit of imbibing writing styles very quickly. And if i want to appear aucorant, writing classical English is not what intrigues me.
Am merely trying to maintain my own writing style.
And you clearly need to imbibe the sarcastic bit, for you do not sound mocking in the least.
P.S babelfish, for your own good and mine, I suggest you stop posting theses and i will stop posting lengthy arguments. If a jab at your feminine self is too much to bear, am extremely sorry.
But for your good and mine, if you do not stop ruining my blog, i will just have to delete your comments.
Either call it a truce, or set up another blog for argumentative purposes, and invite me to it, where we can have lengthy discussions to no end.
hmm...last comment, I wasn't trying to sound mocking/sarcastic in my previous comment. I actually do feel sorry for you. My dear you have no idea how much you're missing through your generalizations and dismissals. I suggest you delete all these comments but I would appreciate factual corrections in your articles. And I do wish you all the best in discovering your own style. Take care kid.
Please, why do i have have to explain the fact that i don't want to correct myself factually, because it loses out on authenticity. i have to write an extra paragraph for pete's sake! As for dismissals, that's just me. Am too bored with the same old same old.
Enjoyed a lot! »
Post a Comment
<< Home